It's been long believed—for a hundred years now in the US—that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A recent review of trials, published in the British Medical Journal in 2019, shows there are limits to that claim: Eating breakfast won't help you lose weight, but skipping it won't help you lose, either.
Instead, consider breakfast as an opportunity to fuel your body with whole, nutritious foods. When it comes to your first meal of the day, it's important to have foods high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats and low in sugars. Although it may be easy to grab a muffin, yogurt, or even instant oatmeal, you may need to do a double-take on their nutrition labels. Certain breakfast items are low in fiber and high in sugar. A breakfast high in sugar will spike your blood sugar levels, setting you up for a spike-crash energy pattern throughout the day. Instead, start your day off strong and fuel your body with a balanced breakfast rich in protein, fiber, and healthy fats. You'll find that you'll stay full longer, feel better, and have more energy throughout the day. We created a list of their favorite vegetarian breakfast recipes that fit the bill.
1. Poached Egg Power Bowls Use cooked lentils and quinoa as a base for this breakfast. Combine it with arugula, avocado, and eggs, and you will be left with a yummy breakfast in less than 10-minutes full of all 9 essential amino acids, healthy fat, and some nutritious greens.
2. Cilantro and Kale Pesto Toast with Fried Egg Grab your food processor or blender and make a homemade Pesto sauce using only 5-ingredients. Afterward, layer greek yogurt, pesto, and an egg on a piece of toast for a delectable, restaurant-worthy breakfast option. Wait, it gets better! Any extra Pesto can be refrigerated and used in a different meal.
3. Banana Bread Breakfast Cookies From start to finish, this recipe takes only 15-minutes and uses a whopping 2 ingredients: bananas and oats. Luckily, they are super versatile, so you can add in your favorite seeds, nuts, or protein powder to make them more filling and nutritious. After you try them, you'll be wondering why you hadn't made them sooner.
4. Homemade Acai Bowls If you've never tasted an açai bowl, you are in for a real treat! Imagine all your favorite toppings like nuts, coconut flakes, berries, and seeds on top of a creamy smoothie poured into a bowl. With a simple press of a button and a little food prep, you'll have a breakfast full of antioxidants that your body will be thanking you for.
1. Breakfast Hash with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes Are you trying to increase your fruit and vegetable consumption? Start your morning with loads of color and truly feel like you're eating the rainbow with this meal– a delicious combination of sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, onion, garlic, apple, spinach, and eggs. Your taste buds will go crazy, and you'll feel like a gourmet chef.
2. Eggs with Chickpeas, Spinach and Tomatoes All in favor of a meal that only uses one pan, say aye! Doing dishes can be a barrier to cooking at home, but it doesn't have to be when you prepare this meal. All ingredients are added into one single pan, and within 20 minutes, you're left with a satisfying, balanced meal. The meat is optional.
3. Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl This yummy recipe is a spin-off of a traditional sweet potato casserole. It conserves the flavor but removes the unnecessary extra sugar. If you're craving something warm in the morning but want a break from oatmeal, this is a great option! Little tip: add sweet potatoes to your meal prep routine during the week, and this meal can be ready in no time!
Found is among the largest medically-supported weight care clinics in the country, serving more than 200,000 members to date. To start your journey with Found, take our quiz.